Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Saturday, February 3, 2018

Big Little Lies

No lie, I am still around ... I just haven’t posted in a very loooong time
I am sorry for that but I hope to change that this year

I have watched a ton of shows lately but nothing that compares to Big Little Lies on HBO! It affected me so much that I put off talking about anything else until I got my new iPad and could write about it for you.

Seriously if you are looking for an amazing story, incredible cast, acting beyond belief (watch those kids closely), great writing and a mystery that leaves you breathless, please check this out.

There are some very difficult scenes to watch and there is language and sexual situations but please don’t let that deter you, they are necessary and it makes the show even more amazing.

Reese Witherspoon is superb in this show but really, the whole cast is. Here is a quick synopsis of the show:

Based on the same-titled best-seller by Liane Moriarty, "Big Little Lies" weaves a darkly comedic tale of murder and mischief in the tranquil beachfront town of Monterey, Calif. Amidst doting moms, successful husbands, beautiful children, and stunning homes exists a community fueled by rumors and divided into haves and have-nots, exposing fractured relationships between husbands and wives, parents and children, and friends and neighbors. Told through the eyes of three mothers -- Madeline, Celeste and Jane -- the series' narrative explores society's myths regarding perfection and its romanticization of marriage, sex, parenting and friendship. Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman and Shailene Woodley star as the three prominent "mothers of Monterey."”

You have to insure that you watch the show without distractions, every scene and word means something and everything ties together... everything. Of course, David E Kelley wrote the show, so that should tell you a lot. He loves details and his words are all important and revealing.

It is only 7 episodes and it does cover the whole book (disclaimer: I have not read the book). I think it is best binged but some of the scenes are rough so a little break between the episodes is also advised. 

When the show ended I really felt like I was losing some friends. While I have a quiet life, I really can imagine that this is real life for some people and I think that is also what fascinated me. I also loved that this was a female centric show and being HBO it allowed for freedom to show what needed to be shown. Last piece of advice, just watch the show. Don’t overthink it, don’t try to solve it, just watch. It all unfolds so brilliantly.

I give Big Little Lies 4 paws and a tail up!!!!  

-dangrdafne



No comments:

Post a Comment