Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season One

 

I have already written about the first episode of this series awhile ago but now we were able to watch the whole first season on You Tube. Maybe not the best way to watch any series but it did the trick and we were able to enjoy this amazing series overall.

Anson Mount seems like he was born to play a Star Trek Captain. He is perfection to me and I really enjoy his take on Captain Chris Pike. He is engaging, funny, deep, thoughtful, strong, soft, and a great Dad figure to everyone. 

Every actor was perfect for their casting and I am in love with all of them. I would love to be friends with them all, especially Uhura portrayed by Celia Rose Gooding. She is effortless and beautiful and an amazing homage to Nichele Nichols' Uhura but also all her own woman.

I love the humor that is imbedded in the stories, I do wonder if some of it was ad libbed or if it was all actually scripted. Each episode gave each character a front row seat but each character was a part of their story. Even what seemed an oddly paced episode 8: "The Elysian Kingdom", it turned out to be one of our favorite episodes.

As with all Star Trek there is always deeper meaning and ways to connect their stories to either our own lives, the world around us or the universe at large. I always feel that Star Trek stories come from deep history for each writer and it is akin to storytelling in olden times. Stories you would tell around the campfire and would be passed down through every generation. 

It is true that Brainwise might have caught a few more things than me due to his deep history of Star Trek knowledge but it didn't detract from me loving this series. He would fill in the information and sometimes it would trigger a memory for me of watching the original series or a name would ruminate and remind me of something I had seen. 

The filming/cinematography of this series is beyond incredible. You feel like you are in the stories and the lighting at times just adds so much depth to the story in front of you. I love that we laughed as much as we cried and rejoiced as much as we were heart-broken.

I remember being so blown away by that first episode, and yes we watched it again and it held up, that I was so happy that the next 9 episodes were just as good. It is not a spoiler to say that it is nice to know who won't die, since they have to be around for The Original Series episodes :) That allowed us to dig in deep to the stories and see the growth and laying out of the history for all the stories to come.

4 paws and a tail


No comments:

Post a Comment