Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, July 28, 2023

Friday 80s Flashback for July 28, 2023


[Don't Cry, It's Only Been 40 Years] -- I celebrated the 40th anniversary of Asia's debut album last year, so I have to acknowledge the 40th anniversary of the release of Asia's second studio album, Alpha. Now, Wikipedia marks the album's release date as August 12, 1983, while Album of the Year has the date as July 26, 1983. I tend to side with AOTY, but even if Wiki has it correct, that date is only next month. Bottom line: 1983 to 2023 is forty years. Let's celebrate!

For their second outing as a band, Asia shed the progressive rock elements that had propelled the first album's sales and instead focused on pop-rock sounds and a polished production. Critics – who must have been disappointed with this shift away from prog rock trappings – penned mostly lukewarm, and some downright harsh, reviews. Despite such critical protestations, Alpha was commercially successful. In the US, it peaked at #6 on the Billboard 200, and it reached the #5 position in the UK. Both singles were top 40 hits with "Don't Cry" and "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes" reaching #10 and #34 respectively on the Billboard Hot 100, as well as charting in the top 25 of the Mainstream Rock chart. 

Also despite what critics say, I love this album. I still have my original LP as well as the 45s for both singles. Maybe my love is due to being in my teens and not knowing any better, but the heart wants what the heart wants. Or, I suppose, the ears embrace what the ears embrace. When I was younger, I thought this record started strong with the intro to "Don't Cry" – that little bit of piano and a simple guitar line that eventually gave way to an explosion of drums and searing guitar all supported by atmospheric synths. Perhaps that was the production and mixing that made it all sound ... bigger ... but I was impressed. Now, even though I feel a bit of a letdown when the verse starts and there is a palpable shift from that epic intro to standard pop rock fare, I still unabashedly love this song. There are no lyrical breakthroughs to be found on this album, though "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes" has just enough schmaltz and arrogance to still come across as achingly sad. But for some reason, the multitracked vocals for the choruses of these songs still seem to genuinely touch me. I don't care what they are singing, I just like how it sounds when they do sing. 

Or maybe I'm reluctant to examine the lyrics too closely lest I find they now make me cringe. 

Anyway, let me know what you think of this album. You won't hurt my feelings if you dislike it. But you might make my day if you remember it even half as fondly as I do. 


FlashbackAlpha (July 26, 1983)




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment