Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, August 9, 2019

Friday 80s Flashback for August 9, 2019


[Overkill] -- I came across Men At Work twice within the last week. Once in a TV show, and once again in my newsfeed. I figure that's good enough to make them the subject of this week's Flashback. Most people might recall their 1983 single, "Overkill." I would wager that many might think it was the only single from Men At Work's sophomore effort, Cargo (1983). Those folks would, however, be in error. "Overkill" was the second of four singles from that album. But it was the most successful of the four, being an international top 10 hit in Canada, Ireland, Norway, and the US Billboard Hot 100. In 2003, Men At Work vocalist, Colin Hay, released a solo album that featured an acoustic version of "Overkill." That acoustic version had also been featured on the NBC series, Scrubs. And this week, Sonic More Music posted Colin Hays' isolated vocals from the original recording of "Overkill" [Update 4/28/2023: the previous isolated vocals video is gone, but I found another one]. 

I hope you enjoy all three versions, which you'll find just after the jump. 

Flashback #1, "Overkill" 1983"Ghosts appear and fade away."




Flashback #2, "Overkill" 2003




Flashback #3, "Overkill" Isolated Vocal:




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

I'll see you in seven! 

No comments:

Post a Comment