Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Thursday, June 8, 2017

Rebel Girls

A few days before International Women's Day in March, a friend posted a link to an amazing book called Rebel Girls - Good Night Stories. As soon as I saw it, I thought of all the young girls in my life I wanted to gift with a copy of this book. Luckily on March 8th, International Women's Day, Rebel Girls offered a special package deal, and I ordered seven books for seven special girls.

As I awaited the books' arrival, I started to think about what my message would be to each young girl who would be receiving their own book. Within a week my shipment of books arrived. They are beautiful. Rebel Girls has one of those velvety soft covers that I love. I wish I had ordered one for myself.


Instead of completing the owner page for each of my recipients, I opted for each girl to have the opportunity to write her own name and truly take ownership of the book.


The interior artwork is stunning.


And the stories are simple and short, while also being powerful and informative.



The book has an impressive list of women contributors, many of whom I have never heard of myself. Look at that table of contents!





And my favorite part of the book is that each reader can write their own story and draw their own portraits.



Seriously, I should have gotten one of these for myself! 

The inscription from the authors is perfect:


Their words helped me determine my own words. Here is what I placed in each recipient's card:

From a grown up Rebel Girl
To a growing Rebel Girl
Always be strong
Always be smart
Always be yourself
Write your own story
Be your own hero


I am honored to have such amazing girls in my life, and I am grateful that I can bestow on them this equally amazing book that will hopefully inspire them for years to come.

If you have a young girl in your life who would also be inspired by this book, please consider a purchase. It will be money well spent.

-- Dangrdafne



Disclaimer: I have received no compensation for this review and recommendation from Rebel Girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment