Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, June 23, 2017

Friday 80s Flashback for June 23, 2017

Earth Girls and Easy Aliens (from L to R):
Julie Brown, Jim Carrey, Jeff Goldblum, Damon Wayans, and Geena Davis


[Space Themes are Easy] -- Earlier this week, an uneasy earthgirl reminded me of the fantastically fun 80s movie, Earth Girls are Easy (1988). The plot of the movie is derived from a song of the same name, which appears on Julie Brown's EP, Goddess in Progress (1984). How Julie Brown and her writing parters -- Charlie Coffey and Terrence E. McNally -- spun nearly two hours of story from a song that is under four minutes is beyond me. But I'm so glad they did. Can you imagine a world in which we never saw Jeff Goldblum, Damon Wayans, and Jim Carrey as furry aliens? As most films in the 80s, the movie included plenty of great 80s tunes. That's the good news. Unfortunately, also like many 80s flicks, much of that music does not wind up on the released soundtrack, and what is there is slightly different from the movie versions. Still, it's a pretty fun album and it's kind of perfect for a Flashback post. With 17 songs appearing in the film, and 11 tracks available on the soundtrack, which selections do you think I'll feature? Well, you'll find out when you read and hear more after the jump (which is right after the embedded movie trailer).


Flashback #1"Baby gonna shake all night."

"Baby Gonna Shake" by Royalty was one of two singles released from the soundtrack album for Earth Girls are Easy. It was written and produced by Madonna's ex, Stephen Bray. Royalty, if I'm not mistaken, was not heard from again. But at least they got to be prominently featured in the movie!




Flashback #2"Don't you know that it's time to get on board."

I had completely forgotten that the venerable pop duo of Hall & Oates had contributed a performance to the Earth Girls are Easy soundtrack. So imagine my surprise when I rediscovered their contribution was a cover of the O'Jays song "Love Train"! Back in the late 80s, I bet I was all over this music video that cuts movie scenes into what is meant to appear as a live performance by Daryl Hall, John Oates, and their band. I still enjoy their recording of the song, but I'm a tad bit jarred after viewing the video again after so many years. Tell me what you think of it!




Flashback #3"Get your kicks on Route 66."

AllMusic's review of Earth Girls are Easy calls Depeche Mode's recording of "Route 66 (The Nile Rodgers Mix)" a pointless cover. The over 40 me will admit to kind of understanding the reviewer's sentiment. However, the 21-year-old me, who is still very much a presence in my music-appreciating mind, kind of digs it.  





Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

And if you are on Twitter, and feel so inclined, please +K my influence in Music on @klout.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment