Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, January 21, 2022

Friday 80s Flashback for January 21, 2022


[RIP Meat Loaf] -- I had something else in the works for this third Friday of January 2022, but when I saw the WaPo alert about Meat Loaf's passing, I knew I had to switch things up and mark this loss. 

I don't recall what store I saw it in, but I do remember that Bat Out Of Hell (1977) was the first record my parents absolutely refused to purchase for me, or let me purchase with my own money. I think their decision was based solely on the album cover, which is still awesome. I'm sure most tributes and stories about Meat Loaf will focus on that album, Bat Out of Hell II: Back into Hell (1993), and his film appearances. But in keeping with my current theme of records that recently turned 40 years old, I'm going to revisit Meat Loaf's sophomore recording, Dead Ringer (1981). 

Dead Ringer was released in September 1981, so it turns 41 this fall, but we can still consider it as a 40-year-old record this week. Meat Loaf recorded Dead Ringer after playing the role of Travis Redfish in the movie Roadie, and after recovering his voice which he had lost due to a combination of touring and exhaustion (and drugs?) in the wake of touring to support his debut album. Meat Loaf collaborator, Jim Steinman, wrote the entire album, which reached #1 in the UK, and the cover was designed by the late, great comic book artist, Bernie Wrightson. This record had four singles: "I'm Gonna Love Her for Both of Us" (#84, Billboard Hot 100), "More Than You Deserve" (a reworking of a song from the 1973 musical of the same name), "Read 'Em and Weep," and "Dead Ringer for Love" (which featured Cher). Dead Ringer is not one of Meat Loaf's better albums, but I do love it for that recording with Cher. And I wish they had performed the song live together at some point in their careers!

RIP Meat Loaf (9/27/1947 – 1/20/2022).

FlashbackDead Ringer (1981)




That's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment