Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, April 23, 2021

Friday 80s Flashback for April 23, 2021


[My Memory Lies in Dust] -- For the remainder of April, my birthday month, I am featuring music from 1986, the year I turned 18. Before we go any further with this post, I have to admit that I do not recall the last time I listened to this week's album in its entirety. But now that I've re-listened to both the original release and the CD bonus tracks in preparation for this post, I'm wondering, "Why have I left this out of my personal rotation for so long??" This album is such a time capsule for me, evoking memories and whole moods from my first year of college. 

On 4/21/1986, Siouxsie and the Banshees released their seventh studio album, Tinderbox. This album included two singles: The very excellent "Cities in Dust" (which had been previously released in October 1985) and "Candyman" (which hit the charts in February 1986). Remember, kids, singles used to be used as teasers for upcoming LPs or EPs. I didn't hear either single, let alone the rest of the album, until September of 1986, but better late than never, right? 

Tinderbox was a critical success, hitting #13 and #88 on the UK Albums Chart and the US Billboard 200 respectively. Also notable on this record is the non single track, 92° because it kicks off with a sample of dialog from the 1953 film It Came from Outer Space (clip): "Did you know, Putnam, that more murders are committed at 92 Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easygoing. Over 92, it's too hot to move. But just 92, people get irritable!"

"Cities in Dust," the lead single, was the band's first significant success in the States, climbing to #17 on the US Hot Dance/Disco chart. There are several delicious remixes of this track, including the Extended Eruption Mix and the more recent Herb's Banshee Tribute Remix.

This week, we have two playlists. The first embedded YouTube playlist has the eight tracks of the original vinyl and cassette release. The second one has the five bonus tracks from the 1986 CD release. If you remember Tinderbox, it's time to blow the dust off your memories like I did. If you're new to Siouxsie, prepare yourself to experience a post-punk band at their peak. 


FlashbackTinderbox (original vinyl and cassette release)



FlashbackTinderbox (1986 CD bonus tracks)




That's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment