Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Lovecraft Country - HBO Max

 Dangrdafne review:

Should I or shouldn't I watch this show? It is horror. It is scary. It is amazing according to many of my friends. I figured I watched Preacher, so how much horror could it be? Enough :)

Yes, it was extremely violent and gross and hard to watch but at the same time it made sense and I didn't feel like it was gratuitous. It fit the story and was even needed at times. I survived ;)

What an extremely thought provoking show. I had so many questions not only just about the story but about the history and the use of black actors in traditionally white roles. It was refreshing to see sci-fi and horror turned on its head. The cast was incredible and I would love to sit down with them to discuss the show and their thoughts on it all. 

I love that I had to live in their world and realize that sci-fi was a part of their world. That Lovecraft Country was real and that is not what they were surprised to learn about as the story went on. It was a great mystery story and again a beautiful family story. I really really love stories of families that are either by blood or even more so by choice. Such subtle things happen within the overall global story and I was enthralled with it all. 

I get why people loved this show so much. It is different, intriguing, thought provoking, horrific, glorious and timely. I am on board if there is a season 2 but I am also ok if this is all the story they get to tell. Although I think I would rather it continues so we all get to see the upside down sci-fi world of Lovecraft Country and make it the norm. 

4 paws

No comments:

Post a Comment