Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, December 22, 2017

Friday 80s Flashback for December 22, 2017



[Christmas Blues] -- I love the 80s. I love Christmas music. And I love jazz. So, for this week's Flashback post, I thought I'd share an album that deftly combines all three of those elements. In 1989, Holly Cole released her debut recording, the Christmas Blues EP, with the trio she had formed in 1986.  Holy Cole (vocals), Aaron Davis piano), and David Piltch (bass) recorded as a trio until 1995, at which time they simply recorded under Holly's name. But I don't care what they call themselves, they sound great together. Holly's voice and Aaron's piano playing in particular are well-suited for each other. Christmas Blues has only four tracks, one of which is a wonderful, jazzy cover of The Pretenders' "2,000 Miles." Are you familiar with the other three tunes? Well, read and hear more after the jump!

Flashback #1"The jingle bells are jingling..."

If carols were sung in a jazz lounge, it might sound like this. (No disrespect intended for Dean Martin's 1953 rendition of this Cahn, Holt tune). 




Flashback #2"Bells will be ringing the glad, glad news |Oh what a Christmas to have the blues."

A plaintive plea that I know I would not be able to resist. This song is by the songwriting team of Charles Brown, Gene Redd, and it was originally recorded by pianist Charles Brown in 1960. 




Flashback #3"I'd like to hitch a ride with Santa Claus | Dodging the clouds, waving at crowds."

"I'd Like to Hitch a Ride with Santa Claus" is a fun ditty about a wish that is surely common for any fan of Santa Claus: a chance to ride in Santa's sleigh, and maybe even take the reins! "I'd Like to Hitch a Ride with Santa Claus" was written by the songwriting team of Burke and Van Heusen who cranked out a slew of hits in the late 1930s and 1940s. This rendition by Holly Cole and company gives bassist David Piltch a chance to stretch and shine. 




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

And if you are on Twitter, and feel so inclined, please +K my influence in Music on @klout.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment