Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

The Acolyte - Star Wars series

 

I know this show took a lot of heat from Star Wars fans and from non-fans too. 

I liked it. Amandla Stenberg was great and a joy to watch through the 8 episodes. I liked that the show felt like a murder mystery who-done-it but with a Star Wars theme. I had fun trying to figure out who done it too.

I was blown away by Manny Jacinto. The last time I saw him was as Jason on The Good Place...this is VERY different from that role and he handled it perfectly. 

I like what to me felt like a different view of the Jedi, since I am not 100% invested in Star Wars overall, this view may hit a nerve with some fans. I figured it was just a story and they set it in a Star Wars theme. I will say that it did seem to run out of steam as it was going along. But at the same time I really wanted to know what was going to happen. 

We hadn't planned to watch it episodically, we thought we would wait and binge but then we started it before it was done and had to watch each Tuesday/Wednesday to see what happened. So to me, it can't be that bad. Would I watch it again? Probably not, unless I needed that information or memory jog for a second season or to tie to another show. 

I think if you watch it as a Star Wars murder mystery and don't worry about how it fits or doesn't into your story line of Star Wars, I think you might enjoy it. Again Manny Jacinto was crazy good, emphasis on crazy ;)

Was it perfect? No. Was it terrible? No. 

3 paws

No comments:

Post a Comment