Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Vanessa Yu’s Magical Paris Tea Shop by Roselle Lim

Dangrdafne book review 



So for my 50th birthday last year I wanted to go to Paris and see Notre Dame as my birthday trip. But then, on the same day, Notre Dame burned and I received a letter that my passport was lost when it was sent for renewal. I was devastated on both counts and didn't know what to do. 

Many months have passed and my passport have never turned up but I did get my renewal one and Notre Dame is hopefully being restored and I will get there at some point. And now we are in a pandemic and travel is on hold no matter what for me. An author friend of mine posted a retweet of Roselle Lin's tweet announcing her book release a few months ago and as soon as I saw the title and read Roselle's tweet I knew I had to get the book: Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop.

I ordered it immediately from my local bookstore and waited for them to let me know it was ready for pick up. I waited a week and then finally it was ready. My hubby went to get the book for me but upon his return I found that they had placed the wrong Roselle Lin book on the pick up shelf for me. I was so sad and I had to wonder, am I ever meant to go to Paris... even in a book?? They corrected the error and another week later I had my book.

It was worth the wait for sure. I can still see all the sights, hear all the sounds of Paris, smell all the glorious foods and feel all the wonderful emotions of the book. A truly beautiful read.

It is a story about Vanessa Yu and how she searches for love, a life and herself. She has an incredible family, if not a little overbearing but certainly full of love. Roselle's writing is simply beautiful. Her descriptions are real and easy to imagine. Especially when she writes about food. Oh the glorious food. Make sure you are not hungry when you read this book and even if you are full, you will still want all the food. Roselle has an affinity for describing all the smells and tastes of the food in Paris. 

This was truly a wonderful book to get lost in and it was so easy to lose yourself to the streets of Paris and the lives of the Yu's. I love stories about family and this did not let me down. The family is crucial to the entire story and I would love to know them in real life. Their loyalty to each other is something to aspire to in our own lives.

Will Vanessa find love? Will she find a life? Will she find herself? You will have to take the journey with her and enjoy all the twists and turns in the book to find out. So grab a snack and strap yourself in for a ride through Paris and Vanessa's Yu's journey.





No comments:

Post a Comment