Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Educated A Memoir by Tara Westover

 Dangrdafne book review


What a difficult read. I truly disliked the people in this book but I shouldn't because really they all have untreated mental illness. This was one of the hardest books I have ever stuck with. My psychology mind was reeling from it all but it couldn't let it go.

It is the memoir of a young woman who grew up in Idaho with a very different upbringing than many people. The major influence of the story is that she does not got to school or even receive home schooling as a child. I know schools are not perfect but I can't help but feel that without it you miss out on so much about the world. There is something to be said for understanding things outside of yourself and I believe this book shines the light on that.

Her schooling does change as she gets older and she does end up in college and beyond, which is quite an incredible feat based on her family history. The human spirit really can take someone further than you could ever imagine.

This book was so frustrating to me and I feel like it is all because of me and that others might truly enjoy this book. The person who recommended the book and lent it to me really liked it but actually was not surprised that I had issues with it. 

I just felt so horrible for this whole family but they lived the lives they wanted and knew and who am I to say anything about it. I just know I would not read this book again but I would not stop anyone else from reading it just because of my issues with the book. It is an overall good book and very interesting. 

2 paws 


1 comment:

  1. When I checked it out of the library, the librarian looked me square in the eyes and said, "it's a tough one."

    ReplyDelete