Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, August 31, 2018

Friday 80s Flashback for August 31, 2018



[Black N Blue] -- The 80s spawned a very strange creature: The Hair Metal genre (also called Glam Metal). I've previously written that this genre was possibly the result of controlled efforts to crossbreed Heavy Metal (for its energy and intensity) with Pop Rock (for its relative safety and accessibility). And it was responsible for a boat load of record sales in the 80s. In August 1986, one of those records was Nasty Nasty, the third studio release by Black N Blue. This record is spirited. It's aggressive. And ... it's not for everyone. I have to throw that "not for everyone" caveat out there just in case I'm the only one who still relies in an inner 13-year-old to rate hard rock from this period. Oh! And here's an interesting note: KISS bassist Gene Simmons produced this album. Anyway, Nasty Nasty didn't make a dent. And there was only one single, but it didn't really chart. In fact, I'm pretty sure it quickly ended up in the discount bin. And, yet, I still have mad love for this album. Then as well as now. So, what tracks have I chosen to share with you? Read and hear more after the break. 

Flashback #1"Her flesh and blood is what my dreams are made of."

I'm fairly certain "Does She Or Doesn't She" is the kind of song parents were worried about in the 80s. 




Flashback #2"You can count on me, just say the word and I'll | Be there for you."

Power ballads. Odes to friendship. Definitely in the wheelhouse of 80s Hair Metal bands. And, in the case of "I'll Be There For You," it's one of the few actual music videos Black N Blue did for this album. 




Flashback #3"We never asked for you and all your rules."

What's the one thing Hair Metal did really well in the 80s? I mean, aside from power ballads. Yep, anthems! Particularly anthems about raising a big old middle finger to anyone making too many "Rules." 




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

And if you are on Twitter, and feel so inclined, please +K my influence in Music on @klout.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment