[40 Years on the Ceiling] -- The Bookended crew is back from our almost month long vacation, and I am cranking out one 80s Flashback before August fades into memory.
Many albums were released in August 1986. A few right even near the end of the month. But I've decided to feature Lionel Richie's third solo LP, Dancing on the Ceiling, released 40 years ago this month on August 5, 1986. Why this record? Well, my late mother's birthday is in August, and Lionel was one of her favorite artist of the 1980s. Please note that I have previously covered Richie's eponymous 1982 solo debut and his 1983 sophomore release. And both times I referred to Richie as one of Mom's faves, so I might as well keep that theme rolling.
Dancing on the Ceiling was another huge success for Richie. It ranked within the top 10 of charts around the globe; for example, it peaked at #2 in the UK, #1 on the US Billboard 200, and #3 on US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard). The album launched five singles – "Say You, Say Me", "Dancing on the Ceiling", "Love Will Conquer All", "Ballerina Girl" / "Deep River Woman", and "Se La".
Of those tracks, you probably only remember "Dancing on the Ceiling" (which reached #7 in the UK, #2 on US Billboard Hot 100, and #3 on US Adult Contemporary) and "Say You, Say Me" (an incredible success that reached #8 in the UK, #1 on the US Billboard Hot 100, #1 on US Adult Contemporary, #1 on US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, and #1 on US Cash Box Top 100). Or, maybe I should speak for myself, because those are the only songs I recall. They were everywhere on the radio that summer!
The embedded YouTube playlist here is the 2003 Expanded Edition of Dancing on the Ceiling. So, it has 13 tracks instead of the eight tracks of the original LP release or the nine tracks of the original CD/cassette.
Flashback: Dancing on the Ceiling (August 5, 1986)
And that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.
See you in seven!

No comments:
Post a Comment