Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Just Like Magic by Sarah Hogle

 Dangrdafne review 


This book was recommended in a tweet by a good friend I trust with book recommendations. I immediately ordered it through my local bookstore "The Next Chapter" but when it finally came in, I was in the throws of Christmas and didn't pick it up. Then a few more book purchases covered it up in my to be read pile. Finally this weekend, I dumped checking social media and set out to read the book.

I did NOT read the blurb on the back and dove in. Imaging my surprise when I realized this book was not set in reality. LOL! I did wonder how my friend loved the book so much but I also knew she would never recommend something that wasn't good. So while this non-reality definitely threw me for a loop and I found it a little hard to get into the book, once I finally let it all go and read all the hilarious current people, places and events in the book and how many of them are related to what my family  and I like ... and dislike, I was in 100%.

What a wonderful read. Well rounded characters with a great story and so much laughter and wonderful holiday cheer. I think I am glad I read this after the Christmas season, as it is keeping the spirit of the season going for me now. 
 
One thing I really loved was how important each word was. You should not speed read this book as every word matters and means something to the story. There are many names and you have to read each to enjoy the hilarity that Sarah puts into the book. The play on words too just enhances each chapter.
 
I can't wait to give this book to my Mom to read. I know she will wonder why in the beginning chapters but as she goes along she will completely understand and agree with me that this is very funny and good story. I can say without a doubt, I have never read anything like it before ... and that is a good thing.

4 paws

This is the back of the book blurb that I didn't read and in the end, I am glad I didn't :)


No comments:

Post a Comment