Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, June 28, 2019

Friday 80s Flashback for June 28, 2019



[Under-appreciated Seagulls] -- I missed a few weekends of Flashbacks. OK, so it was almost the entirety of June. But I'm back to finish June 2019 strong. And I'm doing so with A Flock of Seagulls. You remember A Flock of Seagulls, right? They were a UK synthpop band founded by two hairdressers (look at the image above and guess which guys had that gig). Now, if you're at all familiar with the Flock, then you know their big hits. So, this weekend, I'm going to feature a few of their more under-the-radar cuts. Ready to find out what's on the playlist this week? Read and hear more after the jump!

Flashback #1"Trying to transfer affection | Is starting to tear me apart."

"Transfer Affection" is one of my favorite songs by A Flock of Seagulls. It comes from their second LP, Listen (1983), which spawned the international hit, "Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)." That song breached the UK Top 10, the US Billboard Hot 100, and several other markets. "Transfer Affection," however, was never released as a single. If I recall correctly, it wasn't even a b-side. But why should that prevent me from featuring it here? It won't. I feel I am doing you a service by guiding you to a lesser known song that should have received its fair share of mainstream radio play. Enjoy!




Flashback #2"We're sending messages."

The second track on side A of their self-titled debut, "Messages" was never released as a single. But the band certainly played it live, as this video indicates. I don't think there is any real message in "Messages," but it's a damn fun track.




Flashback #3"You can make a hell | Out of this paradise | With your heart of steel."

The Story of a Young Heart (1984) was A Flock of Seagulls' third and final album to feature the original quartet. It's definitely different from their first two records, and "Heart of Steel" might be the closest a new romantics act ever came to a honkey tonk bar ballad. Or at least a blues bar ballad. At least in my opinion. 




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment