Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Friday 80s Flashback for 4/28/2017



[Guilty Pleasures 2 (or is it 3?)] -- Well, it's my birthday weekend. Somehow, this past week, the topic of guilty pleasures in regards to music came up. You know, songs you like even though you feel a little embarrassed about it. I first posted a few such Guilty Pleasures in 2013. I did another set in 2014, but not under the banner of "Guilty Pleasures" (that was All Right, Already, Enough with the Flamingos!) Generally speaking, if I like a song from the 80s, I'm not embarrassed about it. But that doesn't mean other folks share my opinion. So, I've decided to share a few more of my unpopular opinions. If you're curious to know three more songs that rank on my list of guilty pleasures, you can read and hear more after the break.

Flashback #1"Have you met Mick Jagger? | Ringo, George or Paul? | Do you have my number? | Will you give me a call?"

Kansas is best known for songs with epic content and sweeping violin. Songs like "Carry On Wayward Son," "Dust in the Wind," and "Hold On." But a new lead singer and a shift in direction in 1983 yielded the band's ninth studio LP, Drastic Measures. It was the band's lowest-charting record since their 1974 debut. And Kansas officially disbanded after the conclusion of the 1983 tour. But, I still love this record (I might even still have a cassette copy of it lurking somewhere in this house). And I still love to sing along with "Everybody's My Friend," their meditation on fame and fortune.   




Flashback #2"One day you will find me again, it won't be long."

Sure, our second Flashback was super popular in the wake of its January 1990 release, spending 15 weeks in the Top 40 and even reaching the #1 spot. But surely some music lovers feel a little buyer's remorse about Taylor Dayne these days, yes? Well, not this music lover. I will always and forever champion the vocal prowess of the woman who recorded the dance pop hits "Tell It To My Heart" and "Don't Rush Me." And when someone dismisses her talent, I point them to "Love Will Lead You Back." 




Flashback #3"Too ra loo ra too ra loo rye aye."

Dexy's Midnight Runner. "Come On Eileen." I will say two things about this song: (1) This is track was the subject of a somewhat heated thread on Facebook, and (2) Sorry, not sorry. :) 




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

And if you are on Twitter, and feel so inclined, please +K my influence in Music on @klout.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment