Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Friday 80s Flashback for November 11, 2016

If we hired people the same way we elect them (Non Sequitur, 1/25/2008)


[Post-Election Blues] -- We knew going into Tuesday that, whoever won the 2016 election, it was going to be an historic outcome. And, I must remind my fellow US citizens, that for each person who is disappointed about the results, there is one who is rejoicing. Also, if you add in all the eligible voters who skipped the election, then way more voters did not cast a ballot for your candidate than who cast one for your candidate's opponent. And this applies no matter who got your vote! (If you're confused about how that works, contact me and I'll explain it to you.)

At any rate, how about a few tunes to help us process this latest exercise in what amounts to rearranging deck chairs for this grand experiment called America? Read and hear more about this week's selections after the break. 

Flashback #1"There's no money in my pocket | No soles on my shoes | Ain't got no religion | But the workingman blues."

Although it appeared on The Alarm's 1989 album, Change, "Devolution Workin' Man Blues" was a radio-only single in the US. It reached #9 and #11 on the Mainstream Rock charts and the Modern Rock charts respectively. It could very well be an anthem for the disenfranchised today. 




Flashback #2"He thought he was the King of America | Where they pour Coca Cola just like vintage wine."

I always think this song is titled, "King of America." I mean, it's in the first verse. But this is "Brilliant Mistake," the first track of Elvis Costello's tenth studio album, King of America (1986). So you might see how I would make such a mistake. "Brilliant Mistake" was never a single, but I think it should have been. Well, more accurately, it was not released as a single until an album reissue in the 2000s. Still, I have no nifty stats for you on how well it did on 80s radio. I can tell you that I played this track so much I nearly wore out my copy of the album. Anyway, am I including "Brilliant Mistake" as a jab at President Elect Trump? Or is this me musing that he might now feel he made a mistake? Remember: The time we most want something is right before we actually get it. So it's possible he could be, or will be, feeling some buyer's remorse. But he won't mistake Coca Cola for a vintage wine.    




Flashback #3"I can't stand this indecision | Married with a lack of vision."

Tears for Fears formed in 1981 after the breakup of ... well, after the breakup of a band that no one ever heard of. Initially a synthesizer duo, Tears for Fears later moved into more of a pop rock sound and this evolution is apparent on their sophomore album, Songs from the Big Chair (1995). The album spawned two number one hits, one of which is our final Flashback of the day. Although Tears for Fears came from a nation that once truly ruled the world, they could have been singing about anyone in "Everybody Wants to Rule the World."And it looks like they were doing just that. According to songwriter Curt Smith, the song is "about everybody wanting power, about warfare and the misery it causes." In 1986, this song won "Best Single" at the Brit Awards. Considering the amount of money that gets shoveled into a U.S. election, this song is as relevant as ever ... at least as far as politicians (and reality show celebs who became politicians) are concerned.




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

And if you are on Twitter, and feel so inclined, please +K my influence in Music on @klout.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment