Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Monday, May 2, 2016

5 Fandom Friday 4-29-16

Fandoms You Hold Dear But No One's Ever Heard Of

I don't need 5, I only have one and it is my absolute favorite.
I have belonged to this fandom since I was 7 years old.
My sister started the craze followed by my Grandmother.
I have loved horses since I can remember. 
I could never have real horses so this fandom satisfied my craze...

Breyer Model Horses

My first Breyer was the Family Arabian Stallion that my sister bought with green stamps for my Christmas present. If you don't know what green stamps, google it ;) I named him (although at the time I had no idea they were boys/stallions or girls/mares) Holly. Although part of the fandom is creating cool longer fancy names for the horses in addition to their stable names.

Holly
S. Stonewall's Fancy

Then my Grandmother bought me for Christmas what became my favorite mold, the Proud Arabian Stallion, I named him Angel.

Angel
Grandma's Angel

In the Breyer world this a conga line
It is all but one of the Proud Arabian Stallion variations over the past 40 years.

In 5th grade my teacher saw a brochure for a magazine called Just About Horses and immediately thought of me. I asked my parents if I could subscribe and I don't remember if it was a problem or not but I do recall starting to receive the magazine. I subscribed to them until they stopped publishing just a few years ago.

I had my little stable in the room I shared with my sister and I am very lucky she shared the space with us.



There were photo shows and live shows and I did it all. I never went to Nationals but I had tons of fun with all the local shows. I was lucky that my family supported this crazy thing and I love them all the more for it.

The ribbons are from various photo and live shows that we placed in.

Then I learned about Breyerfest. A HUGE convention, show and sale in Lexington KY at the Kentucky Horse Park. My first trip was to help someone run their table during the show. It was sooo much fun and I even won one out of 25 raffle horses...with just one ticket!

I then returned for Breyerfest's 20th Anniversary with my husband 5 years ago and again we had so much fun. It was great to show my husband all about my fandom and how much I love my Breyers. He also learned that I am not allowed to say anything about his collection of comic books as I collect plastic model horses :)

Just one corner of my Breyers currently in our house.
My hubby built me my dream shelves to show off my horses.
Fandom? Obsession? yes, yes

I would have to say as much as I would love a real horse, I am so happy that I have my Breyer models that have always satisfied my craze. I am forever grateful to Green Stamps for offering Breyer model horses oh so many years ago and to my sister for starting a craze that makes me so happy and has lasted a lifetime.


I truly could go on and on about my horses, Breyer, Breyerfest, etc but I won't but if you want to know more, please let me know in the comments.

-Dangrdafne


cross posted on Dangrdafne Days of Delirium


1 comment:

  1. I loved my Breyer horses! My family could not afford to buy me more than a couple, but I would save my allowance money for several months to add another horse to my stable. I used to crochet harnesses for them. I guess my crafting career started early, lol.

    ReplyDelete