Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, June 23, 2023

Friday 80s Flashback for June 23, 2023


[Having a Field Day] -- Released in 1983 at some point between May 25 and June 16, Marshall Crenshaw's second solo album, Field Day, is 40 years old this year. On a critical level, Crenshaw avoided the sophomore slump. But from a commercial perspective, the album was a disappointment; it didn't even reach the modest success of Crenshaw's debut. 

But I counted for one of those sales. I don't recall exactly why I purchased this LP. Maybe I recalled "Someday, Someway" from his previous album. I mean, it's not like that cover photo screams, "Buy me!" Crenshaw himself has expressed his disappointment in the cover, which features him standing in front of the high school he attended in Michigan: Berkley High School. The way he tells the story, Crenshaw's manager found the worst photo from a photo session and put it right on the front cover; unfortunately, changing it out would have further delayed the album's release, and the tour was coming up [Rock Cellar Magazine, 2017]. 

Anyway, I still have the vinyl LP in my collection, though I usually listen to the tracks via my music app or YouTube. However you listen to it, this record is a great collection of vibrant pop gems. The first single, "Whenever You're on My Mind," is an absolute standout. After that, I highly recommend "Monday Morning Rock" (I love the bass line), "All I Know Right Now" (as solid a love song as there could be in 1983), and "Hold It" (lovely and dreamy chorus vocals). I'm still surprised these songs weren't all over the radio during that early 1980s summer. I'm even more surprised that this record didn't become a staple of college radio. 

FlashbackField Day (1983)





And that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment