Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, April 28, 2023

Friday 80s Flashback for April 28, 2023


[Cargo] -- I kind of had an embarrassment of riches when it came to albums that were released 40 years ago this week. We have The Isley Brothers offering their latest collection of slow ballads (Between the Sheets | April 23, 1983), a surprisingly popular album from Krokus (Headhunter | April 25, 1983), the fourth release from The B-52's (Whammy! | April 27, 1983), and the second album by The Replacements (Hootenanny | April 29, 1983). 

But for my post this week, I've chosen a record that I nearly wore out back in 1983. And by "wore out," I do mean that the vinyl record, which is still in my collection, was in heavy rotation on my simple stereo setup. That album in question was released on April 29, 1983, which was 40 years ago this weekend. In case you haven't figured it out from this post's preview image, I am talking about Cargo, the sophomore effort from Men At Work. As second album go, it was pretty successful. For example, it peaked at #3 and ended the year at #39 on the US Billboard 200. And, for the most part, it received positive critical attention, too. 

But what about hits?

I imagine most music fans recall Men At Work's 1983 single, "Overkill." And I could possibly wager that there are many people who would mistake "Overkill" for the only single from Cargo. Those folks would, however, be in error. "Overkill" was the second of four singles from that album. And it was the most successful of the four. "Overkill" was an international top 10 hit in Canada, Ireland, Norway, and the US Billboard Hot 100 where it peaked at #3. 

Of the the other three singles – "Dr. Heckyll & Mr. Jive" (released in advance of the album, in October 1982), "It's a Mistake," and "High Wire" – only "It's a Mistake" joined "Overkill" in the US Billboard Hot 100's top 10 (it peaked at #6). But even the other two were top 40 hits. I think the anti-war, and specifically anti-nuclear, "It's a Mistake" is my favorite single from Cargo. Unfortunately, it also remains completely relevant. 

All four singles received the music video treatment, and this week's embedded playlist includes those official videos.

Oh, and my favorite non-single tracks are "Upstairs In My House," "I Like To," and "No Sign Of Yesterday."  


FlashbackCargo (April 29, 1983)




That's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment