So I, Dangrdafne, have Celiac Disease, and I need to eat food without wheat or gluten in it. So how in the world do I survive at SDCC? It actually isn't too hard. Brainwise and I pack most of our own food and we do a little shopping after we arrive in San Diego. This ensures that we can eat breakfast in our hotel room and pack our own lunches for each day during the con. Here are the specifics:
What we bring from home:
- Cereal and protein bars, snack-sized veggie chips
- Gluten free Snyder pretzel packs
- Gluten free Lance cracker packs
- Lucy's gluten free cookie packs for easy snacks.
- Mrs. May's Almond clusters (we like carry a bag of with us for a good boost of protein)
What we buy:
- Hard boiled eggs, cereal, and rice milk for our breakfast.
- Ham, cheese, and gluten free bread to make our sandwiches for each day.
- Two gallons of water so we can fill our personal bottles each day before we leave the hotel room.
Where we shop:
We head to Ralph's as soon as we get to San Diego to pick up the items mentioned above. Jimbo's…Naturally is another option for natural foods and gluten free options, but we did find them to be a bit more expensive than Ralph's last year when we first found them.
Where we get dinner:
After a long day of Comic Con activities, we like to eat a good dinner. Fortunately, there are some very good gluten free options around the convention center and in the Gaslamp District. Our usual haunts are Burger Lounge, Fox Sports Grill at the Hilton Bayfront, Marina Kitchen at the Marriott Marquis, and The Grand Lobby Bar at Manchester Hyatt. There is the Old Spaghetti Factory, too, but we have not tried it yet.
How we find gluten free options:
A great resource for searching for gluten free options is an app called Find Me Gluten Free. It is customer run/supported. That means all places listed on the app are put there by people who choose to review places and submit them to the app. It might not find all the gluten free options on the area, BUT I do like that it is run by other gluten free customers.
What are your go to foods during the con? Do you have any gluten free favorites to visit when you are in San Diego for the con? Let us know in the comments.
[Draft: Dangrdafne | Final Copy: Brainwise]