Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, November 20, 2020

Friday 80s Flashback for November 20, 2020

 


[Play Me! A Guess-The-Theme Edition of Flashback] -- I often use release dates, events, or artists as a theme when selecting tracks for the Flashback. And sometimes the title is a direct reference to the theme, while at other times it is a bit more vague or just something that amuses me. All that is to say that I do indeed have a theme this week, but I'm not going to come right out and tell you what it is. I thought it might be fun to ask if my fellow 80s-philes can guess what I had in mind when I compiled this week's trio of tracks. These tunes were not released in the same month or even the same year. And the theme is not related to the artist or songwriter either. But if you really need a hint, I'll just direct you to dig down into the lyrical content. I don't think I made it all that difficult. Leave your guess in the comments, or tweet it (either to @bookendedbycats or @brainwise). So, if you're ready to give this week's theme game a shot, you can read and hear more after the jump.  

Flashback #1"He thought he was the King of America | Where they pour Coca Cola just like vintage wine."

In 1986, Elvis Costello released his tenth studio album, King of America. However, the album was billed as performed by "The Costello Show" (in the UK and Europe, "featuring the Attractions and Confederates" was added to the moniker; North American releases, however, included "featuring Elvis Costello"). And Costello himself was listed under his birth name, Declan MacManus. "Brilliant Mistake" was the album's opening track, and it's first line gave the album its name, but the track was not initially released as a single. But somehow in my head, "Brilliant Mistake" has always been this album's lead single. 




Flashback #2"What do you believe, what do you believe | What do you believe is true?"

One of Midnight Oil's most famous songs, "Power and the Passion" is the second single from the album 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (1982). I'm pretty sure I first saw the music video on MTV's 120 Minutes, and I've loved the band ever since. Be certain to check out the B-side remix, "Glitch Baby Glitch (Power & The Passion - Dub)."




Flashback #3"A criminal mind | Is all I've ever had | Ask one who's known me | If I'm really so bad... | I AM."

Canadian rocker, Gowan, refers to "A Criminal Mind" as one of his signature songs. He certainly has a signature voice, which no doubt helped propel this 1985 single into the top 20 charts in his native Canada. "A Criminal Mind" got radio play in the US, but it didn't chart. However, Styx fans likely know it because Gowan has been their lead singer (replacing Dennis DeYoung) since 1999 and it's a staple in their live shows.




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment