Bookended by Cats was named after Milo and Otis. They are the short, orange, and furry brothers who, upon entering our lives in 2003, often bookended us on our couch. And who are we? We're a geek couple living in PA. We love music, movies, TV, comics, books, and comic cons. And, from time to time, we'll share our thoughts on these nerdy things.

Friday, November 18, 2016

Friday 80s Flashback for November 18, 2016



[Early Huey] -- Before Huey Lewis and the News had their breakout hit with "Do You Believe in Love" in 1982, they released their eponymous debut album in 1980. The band had actually signed their recording contract with Chrysalis Records as Huey Lewis and the American Express. However, due to the label's concerns about litigation by a certain credit card company, the band changed their name to Huey Lewis and the News prior to their first album's release. Their debut album had two singles, but neither of them charted. Nor did the album for that matter. Still, you can hear the combination of doo wop and 80s pop, and see the goodnatured slapsticky humor, that would become staples of the band's reputation through the mid to late 80s. And, yes, I admit: I have a serious soft spot for this album. Read and hear more about it after the break. Maybe you'll come to feel that Huey Lewis and the News is an underrated and unfortunately unappreciated album.

Flashback #1"Because it's real the way you used to make me feel | It makes it so hard to say  | But nothing can change the way I feel today."

The first single off Huey Lewis and the News was "Some of My Lies Are True (Sooner or Later)." It's about people betraying other people, which is, of course, terrible. But the song's upbeat hook and the exuberant nature of the video belie the less-than-ideal subject matter. And I can't help but sing along with it when it comes up in my song rotation.  




Flashback #2"Love, is whispered token, and  |  Hearts, were meant to be broken."

"Hearts" was never released as a single, and I think that's a mistake. Sure, it could be dismissed as just another song about all the things that go wrong in love and relationships. But when that chorus hits, it's a real kick. And how can you go wrong with a clap-along song that has real handclaps recorded in the mix?




Flashback #3"I deal with love as best as I'm able."

"Now Here's You" was the second single off Huey Lewis and the News. And, like it's predecessor, it didn't even make a dint in the charts. If you ask me, it seems tailor-made for an 80s rom-com. Devil-may-care protagonist goes through hearts like playing cards ... until he meets the one woman that he didn't see coming. At that moment, well, "It's gotta be." 




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the Prophet or Madman archives or via Bookended's 80s Flashback tag. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

And if you are on Twitter, and feel so inclined, please +K my influence in Music on @klout.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment